While I was making these Oscar asked what I was doing. “Making zucchini boats for dinner.” “Will they have doors?” Thinking quickly I replied “No, but they’ll have sails.” A bamboo skewer and half a piece of wrap bread made it so. The boat is optional of course!
Stuffed Zucchini (Moderate Salicylate, Low Amines, Low Glutamates)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 large (4kg) zucchini
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup beans, finely sliced
- Canola oil spray
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tblspn sunflower oil
- 250g smooth light ricotta
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup grated low fat cheese
|Stuffed Zucchini Boats|
- Cook the rice.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Spray a baking tray with the canola oil spray.
- Wash the zucchini then cut in half length ways. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Scoop out and retain the flesh, leaving 1cm of flesh around the skin. Place the skins on the baking tray.
- Finely chop the zucchini flesh and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the leek and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the zucchini for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the beans, chicken, cooked rice, salt and ricotta to the zucchini mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the zucchini shells and top with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Slice the skins into portions and serve immediately.