Pear Slice (Low Chem)
3/4 cup castor sugar
3/4 cup plain wholemeal flour
3/4 cup self raising flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup pear juice
1/4 cup sunflower oil
2 tablespoons cold water
6 canned pear halves, mashed
2 tablespoons castor sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C. Line a 20 x 20cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flours and sugar into a bowl and mix to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine the egg, juice, oil and water in a separate bowl, then add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread half the batter into the prepared tray. Spread the mashed pear carefully over the top. Gently spoon the remaining batter over the top of the pear to completely cover it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then sprinkle with sugar. Return to the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool slightly in the tin, then remove from the tray and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove the baking paper and cut into squares.