This week’s recipe is chicken and roast vegetable lasagne. This recipe can also be made using leftover roast vegetables and/or any leftover cooked chicken.
Chicken and Roast Vegetable Lasagne (Low Chem/Amines/Moderate Salicylates)
|Chicken and Roast Vegetable Lasagne|
- Pre-cooked lasagne sheets (enough for 3 layers in a 20 x 20cm baking dish)
- 3 cups of vegetables for roasting, e.g.:
- Parsnip, Carrot, Sweet Potato (Moderate Salicylates), peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
- Swede, peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
- Choko, peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
- Leek, chopped into 1cm pieces
- Whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Canola oil spray
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tblspn sunflower oil
- 500g chicken, minced or chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup gravy (Amines) mixed with 1 1/2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock mixed with 2 tblspns flour
- 250g smooth ricotta
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- 1 cup grated cheese (amines) – optional
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- Spray the bottom of a baking pan with canola oil spray and spread the vegetables for roasting evenly over the pan. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning half way through.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a fry pan and fry the shallots and crushed garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and fry until cooked. Add the gravy or stock and simmer until the liquid thickens and reduces by half.
- Combine the ricotta, egg, milk and cheese.
- Increase the oven temperature to 190 C.
- Grease a 20 x 20cm square baking dish. Place lasagne sheets on the bottom of the dish, then layer with half the vegetables, followed by half the chicken. Add another layer of lasagne, then spread over 1/2 the ricotta mix, followed by the remaining vegetables, the remaining chicken and another layer of lasagne. Spread the remaining ricotta mix over the top.
- Cover the top with a sheet of baking paper then cover in foil. Bake for 35 minutes covered, then uncover and bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
Variations: add 2 cups of vegie sauce to the roasted vegetables once they’re cooked. Use sour cream instead of ricotta.