This is one of my moderate salicylate recipes with hidden vegies – in this case zucchini. Most of the salicylates in zucchini is in the skin, so peeling it makes the level of salicylate moderate, and it also easier to hide in a creamy sauce. Oscar still pulled out a few “yucky bits”, but ate many more. The original recipe for rigatoni with zucchini and cheese came from the Better Health Channel.
Chicken and Zucchini Pasta (Moderate Salicylates, Low Glutamates, Moderate Amines)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 medium leek, finely chopped
- 1 tspn crushed garlic
- 2 small zucchinis, peeled and grated
- 400g pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup skim evaporated milk
- 125g smooth ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheese, grated
- 500g chicken, diced
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry garlic and chicken until chicken is cooked through. Add the leek and zucchini and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cook the pasta as per the directions on the packet. Drain well.
- Beat together the evaporated milk and ricotta until smooth. Add to the chicken mixture and stir until the mixture comes almost to the boil.
- Add the cheese and continue stirring until the cheese melts.
- Add to the pasta and toss well. Serve immediately.