Yesterday was hubby’s birthday, so of course Oscar and I had a cake to make. A few weeks ago my mum reminded me about the chocolate cake recipe that I had in my Nana’s (her Mum) recipe book. Its a hand written journal of recipes that I got when she died. I used to make this cake all the time, but I can’t remember when the last time was. My Nana made comments against her recipes, this one has “very good” next to it and I have to agree.
Oscar was in charge of decorating, and I think he did a pretty good job. Although as you can see from the photo he got distracted and Mum had to finish off the Monster cake!
Nana’s Moist Chocolate Cake (Amines, Low Salicylates, Low Glutamates)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 3/4 cups caster sugar
- 2 tblspns cocoa
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 80g butter
- Preheat the oven to 190 C, and grease and line a cake tin.
- Sieve the dry ingredients together.
- Melt the butter.
- Break 2 eggs into a 1 cup measure, do not beat, and fill the cup with milk.
- Pour the milk and egg and butter onto the dry ingredients and beat well for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
hi there – still relearning FAILSAFE and whats in and out – thought Smarties and Freckles would be out (choc = amines plus the colors) – realise you are prob at a reintroducing/tolerance stage but can you email me to clarify please [email protected]