Classic Sponge Cake (Low Chemical)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup wheaten cornflour
- 2 tblspns self-raising flour
- Pear jam
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and flour two 20cm cake tins.
- Beat the eggs on high for 5 minutes until thick and pale.
- Gradually beat in the caster sugar, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until the sugar has dissolved.
- Sift the flours together 3 times then quickly and gently stir into the egg mixture. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 cake tins then bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool in the pans for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Spread the top of one cake with pear jam and whipped cream then place the second cake on top.
- Decorate the top as required.
This cake is decorated with chocolate icing, Allen’s freckles, White Pascall marshmallows and Nestle Smarties (Amines and Salicylates).
Variations: For a low chemical version dust the top with icing sugar or use plain, citric acid or carob flavoured icing.