We had a period of 5 or 6 days a while back where Oscar was having nightmares, wondering if it was food related we decided to go back to a low chemical diet for a few days. For something a bit different I made up the following pasta bake, which turned out really well, which was lucky because I made so much that we had it for dinner the next night as well. It makes about 6 serves.
|Chicken and Egg Pasta Bake|
Chicken and Egg Pasta Bake (Low Chem / Amines)
- 6 hard boiled eggs, shelled and chopped
- 500g cooked pasta
- 185ml tin light evaporated milk
- 250g light smooth ricotta
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tspn minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tblspn sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup ow fat cream cheese or yellow cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup Rice Bubbles
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Combine the evaporated milk and ricotta until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the garlic, spring onions, celery and cabbage until soft.
- Remove from heat and add chicken, pasta, eggs and ricotta mix, stir until well combined.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Combine the Rice Bubbles and cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Use cream cheese for a low chemical version or mild yellow cheese if amines are tolerated.
Great recipe..do you add the eggs at step 4. What sort of cheese do you use to grate? I’m having trouble finding a “mild” cheese for the low chem elimination part of the diet?
Yes, the eggs go in at step 4, I’ve updated the post, thanks for the pick up. We used Colby cheese as the mild yellow cheese when we did the amines challenge, but there are no low chemical yellow cheeses. In this recipe if I want to keep it low chem I use Philadelphia cream cheese block. In most recipes that use grated cheese I substituted the block cream cheese.