This cake is very moist and has a lovely flavour. I cooked it for the full 60 minutes but had to place foil over the top for the last 10 minutes. When I cut it it appeared uncooked, but it was just the soft banana and zucchini.
The recipe is adapted from Zucchini Yogurt Cake on Basic Recipes.
Zucchini Yoghurt Cake (Amines, Moderate Salicylates, Low Glutamates)
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tspns baking powder
- 1 tspn bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup plain low fat yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and shredded zucchini, squeezed to remove the excess liquid
- 1 cup of chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup finely diced banana
- Optional: icing sugar
|Zucchini Yoghurt Cake|
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flours, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt, returning the husks to the bowl.
- In another bowl beat the eggs until light, then gradually beat in the sugar and syrup until the mixture is light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the oil.
- With a spatula stir in the flour mixture alternately with the yoghurt.
- Stir in the zucchini, banana and cashews and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and cook for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove from the cake tin, remove baking paper and cool on a wire rack.
- Optional: sprinkle with icing sugar.