Continuing on from my success with the roast chicken in the slow cooker, I tried a chicken casserole. 20 minutes preparation and 8 hours later it was done. Very tasty, and easy.
Chicken Casserole (High Amines, Low/Moderate Salicylates, Low/Moderate Glutamates)
- 200ml light evaporate milk
- 1 tblspn plain flour
- 3 large chicken breasts, chopped into largish pieces
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped (optional – moderate salicylates)
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed (optional – moderate glutamates)
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 tspn crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup Andean grain mix (Quinoa grains)
- 3 cups water (or more stock)
|Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole|
- In a small bowl mix together the flour and evaporated milk until smooth.
- Place the chicken, vegetables, beans, garlic, pearl barley and grain mix into the slow cooker.
- Pour in the milk mixture, water and stock.
- Season with salt.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with rice or pasta.
|Chicken Casserole with Rice|
Cooking meat in the slow cooker increases the amine content.