With Oscar’s diet now including moderate salicylate foods, I decide to dry some Red and Golden Delicious apples for him. I used the same method I use for other dried fruit.
Dried Apples (Moderate Salicylates, Low Amines, Low Glutamates)
- Golden or Red Delicious Apples
- Citric Acid
- Room temperature water
- Peel and core the apples, then slice into pieces of even thickness.
- Place into the dehydrator, making sure that no pieces are touching (to ensure air flow).
- Allow to dry to your preferred texture.
- Turn the dehydrator off and cover with a clean cloth. Allow to cool for a couple of hours.
- Place into a sealed plastic bag for 1 week to condition. ( Discard any pieces that are still moist, or continue drying, otherwise these pieces will go mouldy.) Conditioning allows the remaining moisture to spread evenly within each piece of fruit.
- Store in an air tight container.