I just had to try this recipe when I found it. Devil’s Food Cup Cakes that had nothing in them – no dairy, no eggs, no sugar, gluten-free, soy-fee and corn-free! I was sooo impressed that I made them several times trying various combinations – carob/cocoa, milk/rice milk/almond milk, butter/nuttelex/oil, rice malt/maple syrup. I made a few variations from the original recipe and added my own alternatives. They were great every time. Everyone loved them and no-one could tell that the first batch I made were with carob. The frosting is optional; if nuts aren’t allowed you could leave them plain, dust them in icing sugar or use a plain or butter-cream icing instead.
And of course, we had to make dinosuar ones, plus some cave men and rocks:
Devil’s Food Cup Cakes
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||18 minutes|
|Total time||38 minutes|
|Allergy / Intolerance||Amines, Artificial Addititives, Artificial Colours, Dairy, Egg, Glutamates, Preservatives, Salicylates|
|Suitable for||Amines Challenge, RPAH Elimination Diet - Amines Allowed, RPAH Elimination Diet - Low Chemical / Failsafe, RPAH Elimination Diet – Very High Chemical|
|Meal type||Sweet Things|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold|
|Occasion||Special Occasions, Valentines day|
- 2/3 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 cup plain white flour
- 1/2 cup raw cocoa or carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cups rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil, butter or Nuttelex
- 1 cup milk, rice milk or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup cashew paste
- 3 tablespoons raw cocoa or carob
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6-8 tablespoons milk, rice milk or almond milk
Low Chemical / Failsafe, Very High Amines, Salicylates, Dairy-free, Egg-free
I have tried all the variations in this recipe and they all work:
- For a low chemical version use carob powder instead of cocoa and dairy or rice milk.
- If amines are tolerated use coocoa powder.
- If salicylates and amines are tolerated try the almond milk version.
- For a diary-free version use Nuttelex or sunflower oil and rice or almond milk.
- If cashews aren't tolerated try a butter-cream or glace icing instead, or just dust with pure icing sugar.