2014 is going to be a big year for us; and fingers (and toes) crossed it goes pretty smoothly. Oscar started school last week, and a couple of weeks before that we demolished our house so we can build a new one. I also hope this will be a good year for Oscar’s food intolerances. We did some experimenting over summer with stone fruits and berries – only small amounts, but more than we would have gotten away with a couple of years ago. So I need to keep working at that.
In April last year I identified the next group of foods to try with Oscar. Its been slow going – not because of reactions, but because I now have a little boy who is vary wary of any new food (unless its a lolly – he’ll try those in a heartbeat!). This is our status report:
- Oscar now eats mangoes as if they are going out of fashion.
- I cook with real lemons instead of citric/tartaric acid very regularly, and Oscar likes a slice of lemon in his lemonade (!)
- We tried Kiwi fruit and passion fruit but Oscar was not keen (no matter how many variations of mixing them with other things I tried)
- I need to come up with a sure-fire cauliflower recipe as cauliflower has been deemed “horrible”
- Eggplant -I need to pick the right moment to try this one!
- Nuts and seeds – I’ve made some lovely desserts with these, but he must have a sixth sense as he’s always too full for dessert!
As you can see I have a bit more work to do, but I’m sure we’ll get there. However, this does leave me in a bit of a quandary about this blog. I want to continue it, and I love doing it but I’m not developing many recipes that are suitable to post, due to our new ingredients. So I’m going to try a few things. I have about 300 recipes on this site. Many of which have not been revisited since I started the blog, so I will be updating many of these with additional variations and tweaks, and new photos. I will also be looking at the navigation on the site so that the recipes are easier to find. I also have some ideas for some themed posts, grouping similar recipes and/or meal plans. At the same time I have quite a lot of recipes that aren’t in either of my books so I’ll be working on more of those.
If you have any other ideas / suggestions that you would like to see here, I would love to hear from you.
If you are also moving on from the elimination diet, or just want additive-free recipes I will be posting these over at my new blog Just Simply Food.