Individual Chicken Pies
Allergy / Intolerance
Amines, Artificial Addititives, Artificial Colours, Glutamates, Preservatives, Salicylates, Wheat
Gluten Free, RPAH Elimination Diet - Low Chemical / Failsafe, RPAH Elimination Diet - Moderate Chemical
Lunch, Main Dish
Child Friendly, Pre-preparable, Serve Hot
Easy individual chicken pies, topped with your choice of pastry.
- 1 Small leek (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 1 Medium carrot (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 Medium sweet potato (diced)
- 1 Large potato (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups vegetable stock (refer to recipe)
- 600g skinless chicken breasts (cut into one cm pieces)
- Sea salt
- 5 teaspoons tapioca starch (see note)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 pieces pastry approx. 10 cm sqaure (your preference)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
||Preheat the oven to 250°C. |
||Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook until soft (3 - 4 minutes). |
||Add the carrots, sweet potato, potato and peas. Cook until soft. |
||Add half a cup of the stock and allow to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. |
||Add the rest of the stock and bring to the boil. |
||Add the chicken and cook for two minutes. Season with salt. |
||Combine the tapioca starch and water, then add to the chicken and vegetables with the cream. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is thick. |
||Divide the filling into four ramekin dishes and top each with a piece of pastry. |
||Brush the pastry with the egg and cut a vent hole in the top. |
Bake in the oven until golden, approximately 10 - 12 minutes.
Moderate Salicylates and Glutamates
Any type of pastry (commercial or home made) can be used for this recipe, you just need a square big enough to cover the top of the ramekins.
1. Use mashed potato on top instead of pastry.
2. Substitute swede for the carrot and sweet potato, and chopped beans for the peas to make a low chemical / FAILSAFE version.
You can use corn flour (wheaten) instead of tapioca starch, but the pie filling will not be gluten/wheat free.
Refer to the recipes on the Basics Page for home made FAILSAFE vegetable stock.