I found the original recipe (Jamaican Choko tarts) for these on Grab Your Fork.Tarts (Low Chem)
- 1 medium choko
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Lemon juice substitute
- Canola oil spray
- Maple syrup
- Peel the choko and place in a saucepan covered in water. Add the vanilla and bring to the boil then simmer until tender (about 30 minutes). Allow to cool then slice in half length-ways, remove the stone, then cut into thin slices. Place the slices in a bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, then set aside until ready to use.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C. Spray 4 mini tart pans with canola oil spray
- Cut the pastry sheet into quarters and push each piece into a tart pan, trimming the edges.
- Place the tart pans ino the oven for 8 minutes, until the pastry is starting to crisp and puff, but hasn’t coloured yet..
- Layer the choko slices in the pastry, sprinkling with brown sugar and lemon juice substitute between each layer. Put lots of sugar on top. I got 3 layers for each tart.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. After 15 minutes drizzle the top of each tart with maple syrup.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, the remove from tart pans and serve hot with cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.