Apparently real mean don’t eat quiche, but they do eat egg and bacon pies. This recipe is a variation on my quiche lorrainerecipe with just added zucchini.
Egg, Bacon/Ham and Zucchini Pie (Very High Amines, Moderate Salicylates, Low Glutamates)
- 150g organic/preservative free bacon rashers or ham, cubed
- 1 leek, finely diced
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 5 eggs
- 100ml light evaporated milk
- 1 sheet frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 zucchini, peeled and grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Roll out the pastry sheet until it is large enough to cover the base and sides of your quiche/pie dish. Place the pastry into the dish and trim the edges. Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork several times. Place a sheet of baking paper over the base then cover with raw rice or baking weights (I used a bread and butter plate) and blind bake the pastry for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and rice/weights and bake for another 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 170 C.
- While the pastry is cooking, add the bacon, zucchini and leek to a hot frying pan and cook until browned and crispy, then place on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk and cheese, then add the leek and bacon. Pour into the cooked pastry case.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until cooked through.
The quiche can be served hot or cold and can be frozen.