It’s Oscar’s birthday today, so for his special day he will be having pancakes for breakfast. We make our pancakes with spelt flour now and they are much nicer than with regular flour. This recipe is based on my Fluffy Breakfast Pancakes recipe, with a few additional variations.
You don’t need to have these for breakfast. They also make a great dessert or snack.
Fluffy Spelt Pancakes
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||25 minutes|
|Total time||45 minutes|
|Allergy / Intolerance||Amines, Artificial Addititives, Artificial Colours, Dairy, Glutamates, Preservatives, Salicylates|
|Suitable for||Amines Challenge, Dairy / Lactose Free, RPAH Elimination Diet - Amines Allowed, RPAH Elimination Diet - Low Chemical / Failsafe, RPAH Elimination Diet - Moderate Chemical, Salicylate Challenge, Salicylates & Amines|
|Meal type||Breakfast, Dessert, Sweet Things|
|Misc||Serve Hot, Serve Warm|
Easy, healthy spelt pancakes.
- 150g spelt flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Refer to note)
- 3/4 cups milk + 1 tablespoon (Refer to note)
- pinch (sea salt)
- 1 pear (peeled)
- 1 egg
- butter or Nuttelex (for cooking)
|1.||Add the flour, milk, egg and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.|
|2.||Grate the pear and stir into the batter.|
|3.||Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Melt a knob of butter in the pan then add the batter a spoonful at a time. You should be able to cook about 3 at once.|
|4.||Cook for a few minutes until they are golden on the bottom. Flip over and cook for a few minutes on the other side.|
|5.||Serve straight away with your favourite toppings.|
Low Chemical / Failsafe
Makes 8 pancakes
- Replace the pear with half a cup of apple sauce (made with Red or Golden Delicious apples apple sauce is moderate salicylates) or a mashed banana (amines).
- Replace the milk with rice milk and use Nuttelex for a dairy free version.
- Replace the milk with buttermilk.
I make my own baking powder - click here for the recipe.