Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
Home made sweet shortcrust pastry
- 25g pure icing sugar
- 75g chilled butter (cut into cubes)
- 150g plain white flour
- pinch salt
- 2 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
|Sift the flour and salt together into a bowl and make a well. Sift the icing sugar into the well.
|Add the butter and cut in the butter until it looks like fine bread crumbs.
|Sprinkle the egg yolks over the surface of the flour mixture and and mix with a fork until it comes together. Add the egg a bit at a time until this happens. Don't make it too moist.
|Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board. Form the dough into a ball and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Don't overwork it.
|Flatten the dough into a disc and wrap in cling wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour until firm.
Low Chemical / Failsafe
- To cut in the butter (step 2), use two dinner knives to cut through the butter and flour until the butter is in small pieces. Place a wet tea towel under the bowl to hold it steady. Do the last part with your fingers, lifting the flour/butter up and dropping it back until you have the fine bread crumb texture.
- Step 2 can be done in a food processor using a plastic or steel blade. Use the pulse setting and stop and check intermittently until the flour and butter is like fine bread crumbs.
- Avoid letting too much warmth into the pastry - watch for the temperature in the room and the temperature of your hands. Minimise handling with your hands.
This pastry can be frozen, wrapped in plastic wrap, for longer storage.