Roasted Swede and Chickpea Soup (Slow Cooker)
||6 hours, 35 minutes|
Allergy / Intolerance
Amines, Artificial Addititives, Artificial Colours, Dairy, Glutamates, Preservatives, Salicylates, Wheat
Dairy / Lactose Free, Gluten Free, RPAH Elimination Diet - Low Chemical / Failsafe, RPAH Elimination Diet - Moderate Chemical, Salicylate Challenge
Child Friendly, Freezable, Pre-preparable, Serve Hot, Slow Cooker
Easy, healthy roasted swede and chickpea soup.
- 1kg swede (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 Medium leek (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (finely sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tin chickpeas (400g, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup dried yellow split peas (rinsed and drained)
- 5 cups water
- 2 Medium carrots (finely sliced)
- 150ml buttermilk
||Preheat the oven to 200°C. |
||Spread the swede pieces over a large roasting tray and drizzle over 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt. |
||Roast the swede in the over for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender. |
||Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek, carrots, celery and garlic, season with salt and fry for 3 to 4 minutes until softened but not browned. |
||Add the roasted swede and the leek, carrot and celery mixture to the slow cooker. add the chickpeas, split peas and water. |
||Cook on low for about 6 hours. |
||Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth. Return the soup the slow cooker and re-heat through. Stir in the buttermilk if using. |
Low / Moderate Salicylates, Low Glutamates, Low Amines
- For a low chemical/ Failsafe version the carrot can be left out.
- For a dairy-free version the buttermilk can be left out.
If you don't want to use a slow cooker this soup can be made in a large saucepan from step 4 onwards. Bring the soup to the boil then simmer until chickpeas and split peas are cooked, about an hour.